If you could meet and eat with one person who’s ever lived on this earth, who would it be?
My answer’s easy. It’s my grandma, Lois McCombs Tessnear, my dad’s mom.
I’ve not yet met her, but I will someday. She passed away three years before I was born. But I think of her often, including every time I bake in our home kitchen.
My mom and dad tell me Grandma was a very good cook and that one of the things she made was what they called “Stickies,” biscuits sweetened with vanilla and sugar. Along with World War II era letters she exchanged with my grandpa Harry and the homestead they settled that remains in our family, the Stickies are one of the things I have with which to remember Grandma.
I recently got her Stickies in my mind and had to make some. Of course I thought about Grandma as I shaped the dough, flavored it, and slid the Stickies in and out of the oven.
I’m certain my Stickies don’t compare to hers. How many cooks can say their creations live up to the legendary dishes of the family members who came before them? But I’m thankful I can make something tasty that will always remind me of a woman whose life led to mine and who I’m told was as sweet as these warm, sugary, vanilla-flavored biscuit rolls.
Here’s how I suggest you make your own Stickies in seven simple steps.
1. Start with my wife Molly’s simple biscuit dough recipe.
2. Once you’ve formed the dough into a big ball, roll it out on a floured surface.
3. Cover it with vanilla and granulated sugar (you could also use brown sugar for a very different flavor) to your liking. My dad always says you can’t add too much vanilla and sugar, so don’t get too concerned about measurements on this step.
4. Roll the flat dough up by folding it toward you in one long roll.
5. Slice the dough into thin pieces that will remind you of the shape of uncooked cinnamon rolls.
6. Place them an inch or so apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
7. Bake on 425 to 450 for about 10 minutes. Time will vary, depending on your oven. We suggest you don’t overcook them so they come out nice and soft and gooey.
Enjoy, and be sure to share your Stickies with us on social media using the hashtag #FoodieScore!