We ate many loaves of banana bread in our house growing up. It’s one of the recipes my mom’s made so many times over the years that she could probably bake it in her sleep. When I asked her for the recipe recently, she just listed it off effortlessly from her memory.
The simplicity of making this recipe and its not-too-sweet flavor make it a great simple and quick breakfast to eat on the go, and that’s why we’ve enjoyed it so much over the years. As with most of our #FoodieScore recipes, you can modify the specifics and make it your own. Nuts make a great addition, and I’d suggest starting with about a quarter or half cup of walnuts or pecans.
What You Need
2 medium bananas
1 ½ cup self-rising flour
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup cooking oil
3 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla flavoring
cinnamon or cinnamon sugar (optional) for topping
What You Do
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, mix all ingredients well.
3. Pour into a loaf pan and bake for 45 to 65 minutes, depending on the oven.
4. When the bread is almost done, sprinkle it with a little extra cinnamon, sugar or cinnamon sugar.
5. Allow the bread to cool a bit before removing it from the pan and slicing. I like to sit the pan on a wire rack to allow air to surround all sides.
And there you have it: an easy and hearty loaf of banana bread that makes a great quick breakfast or snack.