Sometimes the best dessert course on a cold day is a simple cup of hot chocolate. There are a lot of easy options out there for making a quick mug with a little boiling water or hot milk. And we’re grateful for those options. But occasionally we want something extra special that really “hits the spot.”
That’s where this homemade hot chocolate recipe comes in handy. It produces an incredibly rich and indulgent blend of creamy cocoa that’s worthy of the title Dessert! The yield is two mugs, so adjust based on how many you’re serving.
Stove-top Hot Chocolate
What You Need:
2 ½ tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
5 tablespoons sugar
2 ½ tablespoons water
1 ½ cup milk
¼ teaspoon vanilla
¼ cup cream
What You Do:
1. Mix your cocoa, sugar, water and salt, and add to a medium or large saucepan on medium-high heat.
2. Add your milk and vanilla, and heat until just bubbling, continuing to stir occasionally. Be sure not to scald the mixture.
3. Pour about 1/8 cup of cream (half of your total if making two servings) into each mug and add marshmallows.
4. Cover cream and marshmallows with hot cocoa mixture.
5. Garnish any way you like and enjoy! Among our favorite toppings are: peppermint, sprinkles, chocolate sauce, homemade whipped cream or more marshmallows!
[…] HOT CHOCOLATE: Try these Hot Chocolate Cookies we love! Or make this Stovetop Hot Chocolate for a more conventional […]