This is one of those dishes that sounds fancy but is really quite simple. And, perhaps best of all, you can enjoy a complete dinner serving of pasta, seafood and vegetables for fewer than 400 calories!
I’m not a big fan of eating pasta at restaurants most of the time because it’s easy to make a great pasta bowl at home. This Shrimp & Broccoli Linguine is proof of that. Here’s how I do it.
Shrimp & Broccoli Linguine
What You Need:
20 shrimp, peeled, de-veined and tails off
2 cups broccoli crowns, steamed
2 servings linguine noodles, broken in half, boiled
1 tablespoon butter
Paprika, parsley, black pepper and salt for seasoning
NOTE: You can use fresh or frozen shrimp to your liking. You can use a frozen steamer bag or broccoli for ease, or use your microwave steamer and cook fresh-cut broccoli crowns yourself.
What You Do:
1. Bring two servings of linguine noodles to a boil in lightly salted water on your stovetop. I buy organic linguine at the same price as regular pasta at my local Aldi store.
2. Melt butter in a wok or skillet on medium heat on your stovetop. Add shrimp and saute with light sprinkles of paprika, parsley, fresh black pepper and salt to your liking. The shrimp is done when it has a light pink color on all sides. If you cook it too long, the shrimp can get rubbery in texture.
3. Steam your broccoli. I prefer a simple $1 bag of microwavable broccoli from Aldi.
4. Add a thin layer of olive oil to the shrimp. Then toss in the broccoli and drained noodles, mixing it all together to distribute the flavors.
5. Coat with another thin layer of olive oil, then toss, divide and serve!
Yield: 2 servings. Multiply ingredients for additional servings.
With 200 calories for a serving of pasta, 100 calories for a serving of medium-sized shrimp, fewer than 50 calories for your broccoli and about 50 calories for your butter and seasonings, this is a guilt-free meal with great flavor. Several people have asked me: Did you make a sauce? The olive oil, butter and shrimp seasonings make a sauce for you without any additional preparation or calories. Enjoy!