We don’t order many appetizers when we eat at restaurants—because we tend to focus on main dishes and the occasional dessert. But a friend told us about a must-try app involving bacon and Brussels sprouts at a fantastic burger restaurant called Groovy Beast Grill in Gastonia, N.C.
GBG’s “Belly Brussels,” a mixture of tender and flaky Brussels sprouts with crispy bacon and pungent purple onion slices, were as good as suggested by our friend, so much we couldn’t get them out of our mind. So we decided to try to make our own at home! And guess what? They turned out great!
This is an original recipe, not necessarily made the way Groovy Beast makes its Brussels, and we’ve tried cooking it in both the oven and on the stovetop. Though roasting in the skillet did the job, we preferred the slight additional crispiness of using the oven.
Not sure you or your family will like the Brussels sprouts? Well, bacon does make everything better, right? Just give these a try and let us know what you think!
Bacon Brussels Sprouts
What You Need:
1 bag frozen, microwavable Brussels sprouts
4 strips thick-cut bacon
2 tablespoons olive oil
½ medium onion, sliced into strips
salt and pepper to taste
What You Do:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Heat your steam-able bag of Brussels in the microwave as directed on the package, then set aside to cool.
3. Cook your bacon as directed. We prefer it crispy but not the least bit burned, then cut or crumbled into small pieces.
4. Slice the onion into pieces.
5. Add sprouts, bacon and onion to a mixing bowl, then drizzle olive oil over everything.
6. Add salt and pepper to your taste preference, then toss or stir the mixture to coat everything with the oil and seasonings.
7. Bake in the oven for about 10 to 15 minutes, just until everything gets slightly browned and crisp.
This dish serves 2 to 4 people, depending on serving size.