When we made a Sun Drop Pound Cake a few years back, several people told us, “If you like that, you should try Cheerwine.”
How did they know Cheerwine, which is produced and bottled in my home state of North Carolina, is my favorite soda of all? There’s just something about the cherry flavor that hits my tastebuds differently than all of the other cherry sodas. And that’s saying something because I do love a good Cherry-Lemon Sun Drop, Mountain Dew’s Code Red and pretty much any cherry cola on the market.
A pound cake with Sun Drop is delicious. The same pound cake with Cheerwine is exceptional. So, if you’re like me, try this recipe and see what you think!
Cheerwine Pound Cake
What You Need:
FOR THE CAKE
2 sticks butter
1/2 cup shortening
3 cups cake flour (makes more spongy than regular)
1 tablespoon vanilla
3 cups white granulated sugar
3/4 cup Cheerwine soda
FOR A GLAZE
2 tablespoons butter
2 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup Cheerwine soda
What You Do:
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. Grease and flour a cake pan.
3. Cream sticks of butter, granulated sugar and shortening until fluffy.
4. Add 1 egg at a time, beating well after each.
5. Mix in vanilla.
6. Add flour and Cheerwine alternately.
7. Pour into prepared pan.
8. Bake for 1 hour, 15 minutes, or until cake tester comes out clean when inserted deep into cake.
9. While baking, mix 2 tablespoons of butter, 2 cups of powdered sugar and 1/4 cup of Cheerwine to make a glaze.
10. Remove cake from oven, loosen edges with a knife and invert onto a plate or cake box bottom. Poke holes in cake, and pour glaze over it.
A warm slice of cake goes great with a cold mug of milk!
Cake can sit covered at room temperature for several days and remain fresh.