When many people think of gingerbread they imagine gingerbread-man cookies. Those are absolutely one way to enjoy the rich spiced flavor associated with the holidays, but you must try a whole cake of gingerbread if you’ve never had it before.
The sweetness of the molasses and the pop of the spices combine to make a cake of gingerbread a treat unlike most other desserts. You can even enjoy a piece for breakfast or as part of brunch.
This particular gingerbread recipe is easy to make, and it won’t last long if your family likes it. You can even double this recipe (by doubling all the ingredients) and bake it in a sheet-cake pan if you want more than a small batch.
What You Need:
1 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ginger (can sub allspice)
1/4 cup shortening
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup molasses
1/2 cup boiling water
What You Do:
1. Sift dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.
2. In a separate bowl or a stand mixer, cream shortening and sugar.
3. Add egg and beat well, just until fluffy.
4. Add molasses and dry ingredients, then add boiling water and mix thoroughly.
5. Pour into a greased 8-by-8 pan, and bake at 350 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes.
#FoodieScore Pro Tip: Remove your gingerbread from the oven, allow it to cool for about 10 minutes on a wire rack, then slice and enjoy warm alongside cold milk.