I love oats, and I love honey.
This recipe is all about having an easy oats and honey snack with few additional ingredients. Other versions often add half a cup to a cup of sugar, but that subtracts from the healthiness and basically makes this a cookie. (Here’s our family’s Oatmeal Cookie recipe.) Add the sugar if you want, but I like to keep things simpler and sugar free for these bars. That makes me feel less guilty about devouring a few for breakfast or a snack.
You may have to play around a bit with the ratios to get the exact consistency you like, particularly depending on your choice of cooking oil. Some people like crunchier snacks, while others might prefer a chewier bar. This is the combination I use.
Baked Oat & Honey Bars
What You Need:
4 cups oats
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup cooking oil (your choice)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
What You Do:
1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees, and line a baking pan with parchment. (You can skip parchment, but it makes cleanup so easy!)
2. Mix your oats and salt in a large bowl.
3. Add in your oil, vanilla and honey, and mix well until blended.
4. Use a rubber spatula to press the mixture down evenly onto the parchment into a square or rectangular shape. Be careful how you spread the mixture. If it’s too thick, they won’t bake fully. If it’s too thin, it may end up baking too much and becoming hardened and extra crunchy.
5. Bake for 10 minutes, and cool for 15 minutes before slicing how you like.
Keep these in an air-tight container on the counter or in your pantry. They don’t last long in our house!